Florida weather is nearly ideal for bike riding year-round. You not only enjoy the freedom of escaping traffic, but the freedom to go places you could not travel by car is a bonus. What you may not know is that for many years, Florida has led the United States in bicycle accidents. While you may be aware of this fact, you never expected to be involved in an accident yourself since you are careful about following all the rules of the road and you expect everyone else is following the same rules.
The problem is, not everyone is following the rules of the road and when this happens, you could find yourself on the ground because someone hit your bike. Chances are, you will suffer a serious injury due to a bike accident. Since bikes offer so little protection, you could suffer broken bones, a concussion or spinal injury, or other serious injury which means you are going to be out of work for a while recovering.
Now you are faced with some real problems. In addition to being in the hospital recovering, you may not be able to return to work for several days, weeks or even months depending on the severity of your injuries.
When you are the victim of a bike accident, the last thing you need is a period where you have no income and you are faced with being unable to pay your living expenses while medical bills pile up. This is when you should consider contacting a bike accident attorney to see what options are available to you.
Cyclists Should Take Precautions to Prevent Accidents
As a biker, you can take certain precautions such as making sure you are wearing highly visible clothes, following the rules that apply to cyclists on Florida roadways, and making sure you remain aware of what is going on around you.
- Cyclists should always wear helmets
- Cyclists should be aware of the traffic around them
- Cyclists should avoid wearing headphones which could prevent them from hearing warnings
- Cyclists should obey traffic signals
Have you Been Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
If you have been injured in a bike accident the first thing you should do is make sure you get to a safe location, so you do not suffer additional injuries. As soon as you can contact law enforcement do so and make sure you ask for the names of any witnesses to the accident.
- Get the names and contact information for everyone involved in the accident
- Do not offer information which may indicate you were at fault for the accident
Bicycle crash cases. Which one is yours?
Accidents can happen at any time and if you are on a bicycle you may not even be aware you are in danger. Here are the leading causes of bike accidents:
- Intersection dangers – when a car pulls out of an intersection without realizing you are there
- Park car door opens – when you are traveling in a bike lane or on a sidewalk and a car door opens and you are knocked down
- Crosswalk dangers – an auto driver may make a right turn into a crosswalk and fail to see you on your bike
- Failing to follow traffic flow – bikers who fail to follow traffic flow could be putting themselves in danger
- Traffic signal blind spots – if you stop beside a car at a traffic light, they may not see you and wind up striking you
Remember, car operators always have a responsibility to operate their vehicles safely and maintain control of their vehicle.
When you need a Bicycle Accident Injury Lawyer, we are Near You! Schedule a Free Consultation Today and Let Us Help You Recover Financially
Successful Financial Recovery with Bicycle Accident Lawyer
You should not have to bear the financial burden associated with recovery from a bike accident which was not your fault. We may be able to help you recover the following:
- Medical expenses including hospitalization, rehabilitation, and medications
- Lost wages including future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Do you need a bicycle accident attorney? Schedule a Free Consultation Today.
We have more than 20 years’ experience with personal injury cases. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve.
Speak to an experienced bicycle accident injury lawyer immediately. The right attorney can protect your right and help you receive compensation for medical expenses, attendant care, loss of income and more.
FAQs – Bike Accident Personal Injury Cases
How long after a bicycle accident can you sue in Florida?
Every state has statutes of limitations for personal injury cases. In Florida, you must file a lawsuit within four years of the date of the accident which caused your injury. Contact a personal injury lawyer with experience handling bicycle accident cases.
How do I find a bicycle accident lawyer?
One of the first things you can do is ask friends and family members if they have ever hired a bike accident lawyer. If they have not, you can do your own research by contacting the Florida Bar or by doing your own research.